Monday, November 28, 2011

Acorn Squash



I had never eaten an acorn squash let alone cooked one! I was curious about them, so I gave it a try. Cut the squash in half and place it meat side up in a baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for about 50 minutes. While it is baking, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil. I used 4 cloves of garlic and half an onion sliced on a mandolin. I pretty much slice all of my onions on a mandolin; I just like the thinness. I will say however, for this dish it seemed a bit stringy. When the squash is done, scoop the meat out and add it to the onion and garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. I used large sea salt. One recipe I looked at called for nutmeg. I didn’t have any nutmeg so I used cinnamon. How much cinnamon, I cannot tell you. The plan was to shake some into the pan but things went slightly awry. A large amount of cinnamon came pouring out! I mixed everything together pretty much like mashed potato. The cinnamon was a bit more than I will use the next time, but the dish was quite good.


No comments:

Post a Comment