Monday, January 2, 2012

Tomato Basil Soup


This is a little different with the veggies, but it turned out nice. Thinly slice half an onion, 2 stalks of celery, lots of garlic. Sauté in olive oil. When the veggies start to turn translucent add fresh basil, oregano, salt and pepper. I cut off the thick stems of the basil, stacked the leaves, rolled them like a cigar, and then sliced it into thin strips. Maybe 5 more minutes.
In a pot hand crush a large can of Marzano tomatoes and then add your ingredients from the sauté pan. Add 1 cup of broth; I used chicken. Simmer for a few hours. When you believe it is ready add your cream. Now get this; I used fat free Land O’ Lakes half and half! I think I used a cup of this.
The husband had been roasting vegetables earlier so I also threw in the discarded stems of his asparagus. This was just to add to the stock, I took them out later.
I read a recipe that called for parmesan cheese, so I put that in. However, next time I’ll just add it to the bowl as a garnish. It really didn’t melt well. I also thickened mine. I added corn starch to some water and then thickened the soup: I like my soups thick. On my second day I actually ate this over some spaghetti noodles. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment